City of Middletown, CT
What to Recycle?
Recycling is the law.
Everyone must recycle: residents, businesses, institutions, schools, everyone. Below is a list of what is acceptable in Middletown’s curbside recycling program. This is uniform, whether you have the City Sanitation District or private collection. In the City Sanitation District, recycling is picked up every other week on the same day as trash. The calendar for pick up can be found on the City’s website.
By recycling you can reduce your trash to help protect the environment and save the City money.
Recycling is also accepted at the Middletown Recycling Center. The Recycling Center also accepts other items such as bulk waste, appliances, furniture, food waste, e-waste, batteries, large cardboard boxes, brush, leaves, scrap metal and tires (no more than 4 at a time). Some items are charged. Details are available here.
Plastic Bottles, Jars, Jugs, & Tubs
Glass Bottles and Jars
Metal Cans & Aluminum
Paper and Cardboard
- Empty and rinse containers. Please no liquids or food residue.
- No straws. Caps are okay if they are ON the containers.
- Place materials loose in your cart. Plastic bags are not accepted in the curbside program because they jam the equipment at the sorting facility.
- Consult the list above for a complete list of what is acceptable.
- Try to reduce your waste, even your recycling. Recycling is great but it still costs money. Think and consider the waste before you buy.
- Close the loop! Buy products made from post-consumer recycled materials.
- Check here for information on recycling other items beyond what goes in the recycling cart.
Wondering if something is recyclable? Type the name of a waste item at RecycleCT, and we will tell you how to recycle or dispose of it.
For more information, please contact the City of Middletown Department of Public Works
Middletown Public Works is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm