Town of West Hartford, CT
Trash Collection Rules and Guidelines
As part of the Waste Reduction pilot program, all regular household trash should be bagged only in the official Town-issued Orange trash bags before being placed out for collection in the trash cart.
Participating households on Monday’s route will be provided with 15-gallon orange trash bags and 8-gallon green food scraps bag to use during the pilot program. If after recycling and separating out your food waste, you find that your household needs more orange bags during the pilot, please reach out to DPW.
Place your Orange trash bags in your trash cart. Place your cart curbside by 6am on your collection day.
- Please note that material to be presented for collection cannot be placed at the curb more than 24 hours in advance of your scheduled collection date.
- Keep the lid facing the street.
- Make sure all items and materials are placed inside the barrel(s).
- Make sure the barrel(s) are at least 2 feet apart.
- Obtain a permit either online (credit card) or in person (cash/check) at DPW or Town Hall, prior to scheduling a bulk pick-up.
- Contact the Town or Paine’s to change from 95-gallon barrel(s) to 65-gallon barrel(s) (single residences only)
- Report missed collections to the Town or Paine’s if the barrel(s) were placed out before 6 a.m. on collection day. There will be no go-backs if your carts do not meet the guidelines for curbside collection.
- Contact the Town or Paine’s if your barrels are damaged or stolen.
- Use only barrels issued by the Town.
- Remove barrel(s) within 24 hours after 6:00 a.m. of your scheduled collection day.
- Make sure recycling items are placed in the blue recycling container, and regular household waste is placed in the green container.
Do not place the following items in the Orange town-approved bags:
Recyclable plastic, glass, or metal (place in blue recycling cart)
Food scraps (use green bags)
Dirt, sod, concrete, or rock
Hot ashes or flammable materials such as oil, gas, or paint (Paint disposal information)
- Permits can be obtained by credit card 24-hours a day by clicking the application button above.
- Permits are also available by contacting Paine’s, Inc. at (860) 844-3000 or in person at the Public Works Facility during business hours. Cash and check are accepted in person.
- After purchasing permits online, by phone or in person, you must call Paine’s, (860) 844-3000 to schedule your collection.
- Permits are for a one time use and must be used within two weeks of purchasing.
- Learn more about what is accepted here